Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Blowee day out

Yesterday we took a ride down the mountain to Kiama to visit the blowhole and lighthouse. I have lots of happy memories of Kiama and I was keen to share the area with Rob and the kids.

The weather was pretty ordinary when we left home but as we headed towards Goulburn the rain set in - we weren't worried though. Summer or Winter, the weather is always horrible around Goulburn! By the time we hit Moss Vale the rain had gone but there was an icy wind sweeping across the Southern Highlands. Luckily it was warm and cozy in the Old Post Office Cafe - our regular morning tea spot when we're in the area - they do great raisin toast!

After winding our way down the mountain, with tantalising glimpses of sea and blue sky we arrived to a warm but windy seaside day. Oh I love the coast!

Check out these photos - both of me at the lighthouse, the first taken yesterday and the second taken 20 years ago - the lighthouse is much better maintained these days (me too LOL).



Sadly the blowhole didn't want to put on a show for us. This what we saw:


Not very exciting. So, we went to visit the Little Blowhole - somewhere I had never been. When we arrived this is what we saw:


But only for a moment - Little Blowhole put on a show for us. Angus was desperate to get wet and Zoe was desperate to stay dry. This photo says it all:

Angus laughing like a loon and Zoe ready to head to higher ground!

After visiting the sights we did a couple of geocaches and then headed back into town to have lunch before heading back up the mountain towards home and the cold weather.

The kids had a great time, even if I bored them with tales of a childhood long past :) Angus wants to go back in Summer to swim at the beach and to get drenched by the blowhole action. I think it sounds like a plan!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool! We'll have to check that place out!!!
Did you get my 'phone message when you returned on Tuesday?
Talk soon.
M x

Unknown said...

What great pictures. Looks like a wonderful trip out and about. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a great comment. I really appreciate it.

Hilde Aaslund aka Scoobie said...

Great pictures, how cool is to be able to show and compare with photoes taken twnety years ago!

PS Send some hugs to Angus.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind thoughts. I appreciate you taking the time. x Ali.